Is your business currently full of challenges or setbacks and you feel that you are fighting an uphill battle trying to overcome them? As a result of these challenges, have you ever felt like giving up because you lost your motivation to continue? Don’t despair; almost every business owner or entrepreneur goes through this. However, quitting is the worst decision you can make because you are having a brownout (not a burnout) and probably need to take a timeout to learn some quick tips on how you can keep yourself motivated.
10 Quick Tips to Help Keep You Motivated
1. Associate yourself with other successful people in general and/or in your line of business. If at all possible, pick their brains–ask them questions about how they dealt with challenges similar to yours. There is a good chance that if you network with those business owners who are successful or have already achieved what you want to achieve, you will eventually be successful also.
2. Set goals– write them down and review them often. This is very important because if you have goals that you can visualize, they will keep you focused. You have to review them often because your goals can change over time and may need to be adjusted, especially when they no longer motivate you. One goal-setting technique I learned several years ago was to put all my goals into a “dream book” (scrapbook) where I had pictures or images representing my goals. For instance, if your goal is to make $100, you could put either a Monopoly® 100 dollar bill or a picture of a US 100 dollar bill onto a piece of paper as a visual representation of that goal. It is also a good idea to separate your goals into different categories, such as: Family, Fitness, Fun, and Financial.
3. Avoid negative people. This may include family and close friends. Decline invitations to “pity-parties”. If you continue to hang around people who either do not support or believe in what you are doing in your business, they will eventually bring you down and depress you. Do not even argue with a negative person because you will be wasting your time and energy which could be better spent doing something meaningful for your business.
4. Practice working on having a positive mindset. Reading books or quotes or listening to CD’s that encourage you to develop a positive mindset helps feed your mind with nourishing information. This is something that should be done on a daily basis because we are constantly bombarded by so much negativity from television, radio, and social media.
5. Turn off the television. Limit the amount of time spent watching TV. Watching just one show on TV can easily turn into an entire evening in front of the television, which ends up wasting time that can never be recaptured. Instead of watching television, spend time doing something that will help you grow and improve your business.
6. Stay spiritually connected. No matter what your religion or spiritual belief is, you should take the time to pray, meditate or do whatever you need to do maintain your spiritual health. For instance, every morning I read scripture from the Bible. It helps me get my day started off on the right foot.
7. Believe that you are a winner. If you don’t have faith in yourself, don’t expect anyone else to believe in you. It has been said that sometimes it is necessary to act like the person you want to be before it becomes a reality. Remember the saying, “Winners never quit and quitters never win”.
8. Take action. Don’t procrastinate. If the challenge you are currently facing seems monumental, try breaking it up into smaller steps. The important thing to remember is that you have to start somewhere, even if it is baby steps at first. If you make a mistake, don’t be discouraged. Expect to make mistakes along the way; that is how you will learn not to repeat them.
9. Reward yourself. Remember to congratulate yourself when overcoming a business challenge or reaching a goal. This will serve as positive motivation and will encourage you to keep moving forward.
10. Talk to your customers. Customer feedback, both positive and negative, will help you find ways to improve your business as well as generate new ideas that will re-energize your business. Without customer feedback, you would have no way of knowing how well your customers’ needs are being met. Feedback could be in the form of either a customer survey or a suggestion box for customers to put their suggestions in.
The above list is by no means all-inclusive. I am quite sure that you could probably think of more ways to keep yourself motivated. The most important thing to remember is to not make the final decision to quit just because you have temporarily lost your motivation to continue. Take the time to find out what technique works best for you in keeping you motivated and stick with it. Below are quotes from some notable people regarding motivation:
“To be successful, you have to have your heart in your business and your business in your heart.”– Thomas Watson
“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.”– Bill Gates
“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.”– Winston Churchill
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”– Thomas Edison
Best wishes for success and stay motivated!