Hi, my name is Deidre, and I would like you to ask yourself these questions:
How do you spend your time? Have you been guilty at one time or another of the following:
1. You have an important deadline to meet or there is something that Must be done today or else tomorrow it will be too late. You end up not doing it because you think ” I don’t have time”
2. You seem to have “lots of time” to do the things you like to do or seem easy to do. However, they are for the most part not that important and can be done later during your spare time.
Most people, myself included, are guilty of not spending our time wisely. People tend to procrastinate and waste time doing trivial, mundane things that are rarely the most important. These trivial things may make us “busy” but they are not bringing us any closer to whatever goals and/or deadlines we have to meet in any given day.
No matter where you live in this world, the following is constant and true:
- Every day consists of 24 hours
- Every hour consists of 60 minutes
- Every minute consists of 60 seconds
- One day is equal to 24 hours, 1440 minutes, and 86,400 seconds
My point is that everyone has the same amount of time every day to be the most productive in terms of achieving goals, such as becoming successful in making money online.
How can you spend your time wisely?
Here are some techniques that I currently use. They may or may not be helpful to you, but it’s worth a start if you have no clue in how to better manage your time.
1. Map out a 24 hour schedule and WRITE IT DOWN. In other words, think about what you do in one day and the time during the day you do it. For example, when you travel to work, your work hours, when you sleep, when you eat, when you watch TV, etc. This is important because when you see all that you do mapped out on paper, it makes you more aware of how your day is spent
When I mapped out my schedule for the first time, I was amazed at how much time I spent weekly doing things that was not bringing me closer to my goal of making money online. I was spending more time watching TV than learning how to be successful at making money online. As a result, I made some adjustments–I decided I would watch less TV and devote more time to reading e-books and how-to videos on lead generation techniques and getting traffic to my websites.
2. Before you begin a task, ask yourself, “Is this the most productive thing I can do at this particular moment?” If the answer is yes, then go ahead and perform the task. Just keep in mind that you’ve answered yes because this task will bring you closer to your goal of making money online and not because you are procrastinating for whatever reason.
This may be somewhat difficult to do ( I still struggle with this) because I think it is human nature to want to stall or procrastinate when we know we have to do something but don’t want to because it seems too difficult or we don’t understand how to do it. Someone told me that one way to combat procrastination is to write down all the tasks you have to do in one day and divide them up into 3 categories: (most important to least important)
1. Things I must do today
2. Things I could do today
3. Things I can do tomorrow or some other time
What is the lesson to be learned?
1. Time management is critical. You can always make more money and perhaps do more things in a day, but you CANNOT make more time. Once the 24 hours in any given day is used up, it’s gone forever. That day is never going to come back for you to repeat if you have not completed a task or forgot to do something.
2. Time is precious. We all have a finite amount of time to do what we feel we have to do on this earth. Therefore, we need to live each day as if it may be our last day on earth. If we do the most important things first, then we can relax a little and do things that are fun to do during our “spare time”.
3. Time management is a constant struggle. I think we all have a tendency to procrastinate and do things that keep us “busy” but do nothing but waste time instead of bringing us closer to our goals. However, I think procrastination can be kept in check by asking yourself, “how bad do I want to reach my goal”? If that goal is a burning desire, then you will find the time needed to do what is necessary to reach that goal. If the goal is not that important to you, then it is just a wish, and time spent on it will not seem to matter.
I would welcome your thoughts and comments on this topic, as I do not have all the answers. In fact, I have been looking at time management tips from some of my fellow Wealthy Affiliate members. Here is how one of our newest members manages her time every week
No matter what you plan to do in life, time management is important. If you are interested in learning about time management and/or how to make money online, may I suggest you check out Wealthy Affiliate.com This is an online community of network marketers who want to learn how to be successful in this industry. You can sign up for free and see what it has to offer.
Once again, my name is Deidre, and thanks for reading my post.